To apply for an internship, students should carefully review the requirements below and send all materials electronically to the Child Life Internship Coordinator at the email listed below.
• Internship Application
• Official college transcript and list of current coursework
• Completed child life coursework inclusive of the 6 applied areas of study, as required by the CLC.
• CLC eligibility assessment
• Description of volunteer service. Minimum of 100 hours with well children and 100 hours with hospitalized children and/or children with disabilities.
• Proof of a 100-hour Child Life practicum. The practicum must be completed prior to the application deadline.
• Health Requirements
• Reference Letters (3).
Please review Child Life Council’s new deadlines for Internship Application process.
If after reviewing the following information, you are still interested in an internship at our facility, the application must be completed and submitted electronically by the following dates:
Semester Application Deadline Initial Offer Dates
Fall (Sept. - Dec.) May 5th 2nd Tuesday of June
Spring (Jan. - May) September 5th 2nd Tuesday of October
All materials must be submitted electronically to:
After reviewing all applications, the Child Life Internship Coordinator will notify qualified candidates to schedule an interview.
The Child Life Internship Coordinator is:
Ayana M. West-Hewitt, MA, MSW, CCLS
Child Life Internship Coordinator
Children's Specialized Hospital
200 Somerset Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Child Life interns will be evaluated using the tools provided by their institution. In the event the institution does not supply an evaluation, the hospital will utilize an internal evaluation process with criteria based upon recommendations set forth by the Child Life Council. Interns will have the opportunity to evaluate the hospital’s intern program at midterm and final.